Rotary Club 32
St Joseph MO, USA
The History of Rotary Club 32
1930 to 1939
|Preface||Club 32 beginnings|
|Club 32 First Members||1911 - 1919||1920-1929|
|1930 - 1939||1940 - 1949||1950 - 1959|
|1960 - 1969||1970 - 1979||1980 - 1986|
|1987 - 2002||2002-2003|
1929 – 1930
Ted Tedlock President 1929-1930
May 26, 27, 1930: St. Joseph was host club to the Fifteenth District Convention of Rotary International. This was Rotary’s “Silver Anniversary” which added importance to the convention. Twelve hundred visitors were registered. Headquarters for the convention were established at the Chamber of Commerce Building and named “St. Joseph House of Friendship”.
The opening program on Monday was held in the City Auditorium. A downtown parade was given at 4:30 Monday afternoon with prizes offered for competing bands. The Governor’s Ball was held Monday evening at the Frog Hop. One thousand persons attended. St. Joseph Temple Orchestra, under the leadership of Willis C. Maupin furnished the music for the ball. Principal speaker for the convention was M.W. Newsom, of Durham, North Carolina, President of Rotary International.
September 2, 1930: At our weekly luncheon, Orestes Mitchell, Jr., who had just returned from a visit to Bermuda, told of the Rotary luncheon he attended while there. He reported that the natives of Bermuda were highly cultured, well educated and extremely polite.
Club membership in 1930 was 111.
February 1930: W.S. Belden, the U.S. Weather Observer, established a weather bureau at Rosecrans Field to give reports to air mail pilots.
A depression year. St. Joseph’s Hospital Guild founded to sew for babies of needy families. Since the time of its origin, the Guild has raised more than $35,000 to aid the Hospital.
Dirigible Graf Zeppelin made a round the world trip from Friederichscafen, Germany, August 14 to September 4, by way of Tokyo, Los Angeles and Lakehurst, New Jersey.
1930 – 1931
Henry Raines President 1930-1931
During the presidency of Henry Raines a permanent Rotary Office was established in Hotel Robidoux and Rotary Library was founded.
July 23, 1930: A District Assembly of Presidents and Secretaries of Rotary was held in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Henry Raines and H.D. Allison attended.
At the beginning of Henry Raines’ year as president, the club for the first time prepared a budget on a year’s operation and established a Rotary Office in the Hotel Robidoux. During the year, the club had an inter-survey meeting with Cameron, Maryville and Kansas City, which was followed by a banquet and an address for a former president of the Kansas City Club, Rotarian James DeWolfe.
September 30: John H. Warner, who had spent 23 years in Y.M.C.A. work in Brazil and three years in Mexico, addressed the Rotary Club. He reminded us that Brazil is the only American nation which was ever set up without first drenching the land with the blood of war. Brazil is a large country, some 200,000 square miles.
June 23, 1931: Max Andriano reported a balance of $48.12 in the “Rotary Milk Fund”. This fund is obtained by fines assessed against the members.
August 18, 1931: The players who were currently appearing in the play “Joseph” in the Krug Park Bowl, were guests of the Rotary Club at their weekly luncheon.
St. Joseph Civic Music Association was formed. Artists sponsored, included Marian Anderson, Fritz Kreisler, John Charles Thomas and the Trapp Family Singers. The old Tootle Theatre was reopened by the Little Theatre Group.
At the end of the year, the membership of our club was 133 with a net gain of 19 members.
1931 – 1932
Rabbi Myron M. Meyer President 1931-1932
December 1931: Our club sent a check for $25.00 for repairing of shoes which had been collected by Boy Scouts. These shoes were sent to Social Welfare Board for Christmas distribution to needy children.
July 5, 1932: Raymond Mercola, 21 years old, who had been with Admiral Byrd on an expedition to the North Pole in 1928, was the speaker at the weekly luncheon.
Club membership this year was 127.
New State Highway Building was opened in 1932.
1932 – 1933
Fred Karr President 1932-1933
April 8, 1933: Inter-City meeting of the 15th Rotary District was held in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Fred Karr, our Rotary President and who was Vice President of the St. Joseph Gas Company, was the featured speaker at this convention.
October 4, 1933: Charles Curtis, Vice President of the United States, was a visitor at our Rotary Club luncheon. He was introduced by President Karr.
Membership of the club at the close of this year was 128.
Westminster Church burned January 1, 1933.
Adolph Hitler was elected German Chancellor, January 30, 1933. Germany withdrew from the League of Nations, October 14, 1933.
President Roosevelt recognized Soviet Russia as Government of Russia, November 16, 1933.
1933 – 1934
Sam Hotchkiss . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . President
February 1, 1934, fifty dollars was sent to the Needlework Guild for their shoe fund.
May 31, 1934, twenty dollars was donated to local Girl Scout Council for Scout Camp for underprivileged girls.
Booster’s Club of St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce challenged members of the Rotary Club to a series of three games of “Donkey Baseball”. Games were played in the evening at City Baseball Stadium on July 5, 6 and 7. Funds raised were used to build a swimming pool for the St. Joseph Boy Scout Council at Camp Geiger. A total of $703.77 was raised from the three games.
Membership of the club this year was 125.
November 10, 1934, St. Joseph saw its first stream-lined train. The Burlington Zephyr, from Omaha to Kansas City came through St. Joseph. Fred Garlow, grandson of Buffalo Bill Cody, rode up along-side on a pony and received letters for the St. Joseph City Officials.
Welfare Board was given $31,000 by City Council in the nine months of 1934. This sum was matched by the county.
The News-Press editorially stated that “the slump has passed its nadir”. The world enters 1935 with optimism.
The Phillipines were granted independence by Congress, March 22, 1934. Proclaimed a Republic on July 4, 1934.
1934 – 1935
William S Aldrich President 1934-1935
June 1935: Mr. and Mrs. Luther Reid, Dr. and Mrs. Harry Conrad and son Bob and M.J. Garvey attended a Rotary International Convention in Mexico City.
July 23, 1934: A letter of thanks received from R.A. McDonald, Secretary of Children’s Museum in Public Library Building Annex, thanking the Rotary Club for their check of $200.00. This donation was made to apply on a museum case. A brass marker was placed on this case with the name of the donor engraved on it.
October 9, 1934: The 30th anniversary of the founding of Rotary was observed at a joint meeting with the Kiwanis and Cooperative Clubs. The International President of Rotary this year is a Missourian. R.L. “Bob” Hill of Columbia, Missouri. President Hill made a tour of the world in the interest of Rotary organizations.
February 4, 1935: The 80th Birthday of Max Andriano was observed at our luncheon today. He related the story of his life.
May 21, 1935: A very interesting luncheon was held on this date. Our speaker was George F. Work, 96 years old. Mr. Work was a well-known character in St. Joseph and made a most interesting speech. He told the members of our club that day that he was born in 1839, the year that St. Joseph was platted and chartered. In that year (1839) there were only two women in the United States who were college graduates.
In Mr. Aldrich’s year of presidency, $594.00 was contributed to various philanthropic enterprises: $200.00 to the Museum case; $225.00 to Crippled Children’s Movement; $50.00 to Boys’ Camp; $25.00 for equipment for Longfellow School and several smaller donations. Membership this year was 124.
In December 1935, a half million dollars was paid in wages to W.P.A. workers in St. Joseph trade territory. This included Buchanan and fifteen other counties. One half of the total was paid to St. Joseph workers.
Hitler rejected the Versailles treaty and ordered conscription in Germany on March 10.
1935 – 1936
Mike Garvey President 1935-1936
May 1935: Rotary Club financed a delegate from St. Joseph to attend the Peace Council to the Institute of International Relations held at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa. Subscriptions to “The Rotarian” were sent to the four St. Joseph High Schools, Junior College and the Public Library.
The club rendered help to the Crippled Children’s Society, financing hospital bills, operations, braces, etc.
November 12, 1935: At the luncheon on this date, Rotarians were served Moose Meat, compliments of Dr. J.M. Allaman, Dr. O.J. Carder and Dr. C.S. Branson, who had just returned from a hunting trip which took them 100 miles into the wilds of Canada.
May 5, 6, 7, 1935: 15th District Conference was held in Kansas City. A large delegation from our club attended.
June 28, 1935: Chadwick Hall at Camp Marvin Hillyard was dedicated. A recreation hall, Rotary lodge was built and equipped by the St. Joseph Rotary Club and is the focal point of camp activities during the summer months.
February 3, 1936: Special birthday luncheon this date honoring Max Andriano, a charter member of our club, who was 81 years old on January 23. He was affectionately called “Grand Old Man” and “Poet Laureate” of Rotary.
William Savard, baker at the Hotel Robidoux, made the three-tiered birthday cake that weighed seventy-five pounds. It was beautifully decorated with the Rotary emblem and was electrically lighted. It was the largest cake up to that date ever served at any function at the Hotel Robidoux. The story of this birthday party and the cake served was written in “The Rotarian” which went around the world.
George W. Jones, well-known St. Joseph druggist, died today after a three day illness of influenza. Mr. Jones was a charter member of the St. Joseph Rotary Club.
March 31, 1936: Bruno Hauptmann was electrocuted today for the kidnap slaying of Charles Lindbergh, Jr. Judge R.E. Culver addressed our club at the noon luncheon today and commented on laws of New Jersey in connection with the Hauptmann trial. He expressed his belief that Hauptmann was given a fair trial.
April 30, 1936: Eight of our members, L.M. Haines, Frank Crum, Sam Mannschreck, L.H. Steckling, C.C. Ballinger, R.P. Woodburn, Edward a Michel and Dr. J.M. Allaman, competed in the Rotary International Telegraphic Bowling Meet. Several hundred teams competed. Scores from around the world were telegraphed to Rotary International Headquarters. Our team scored 2597 which was considered good since they faced world-wide competition. Our St. Joseph game was played at the Recreation Club Alley.
May 13, 1936: Eight delegates from our club attended the 15th District Conference held in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. The delegates reported with interest, three telephone calls that were received during the banquet. They were personal calls from Paul Harris from Chicago, and Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, who called from California. They called their “Greetings and Best Wishes” to the Rotarians who were assembled at the banquet. Paul Harris had attended a District meeting at Ft. Smith, in 1929. Bob Burns [sic] is a member of the Rotary Club in Van Buren, Arkansas and Bing Crosby is a member of a Rotary Club in California.
June 4, 1936: Roe Bartle was elected President of the Kansas City Rotary Club. Mr. Bartle was a former member of the St. Joseph Rotary Club.
July 1, 1936: St. Joseph “Boys Band” was entertained at our week day luncheon on this date. This band is made up of 45 boys from 10 to 16 years of age. They received many favorable press notices when they played at Chicago World’s Fair last year.
Membership of the club this year was 124.
In June of 1936, St. Joseph Police Department obtained a Radio Station.
Theo Quinn was appointed Postmaster.
King George V of England died January 20, 1936, and was succeeded by the Prince of Wales, who abdicated the throne on December 11, and was succeeded by the Duke of York, King George VI.
1936 – 1937
Ted Haines President 1936-1937
May 18, 1936: President Haines declared that this date was to be “One Hundred Percent Attendance Day”, Club membership on this date was 127. One Hundred twenty-five were present, which was a very fine showing.
January 23, 1937: Inter-City meeting held in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Roy Wood and W.S. Aldrich attended as delegates from our club.
April 4, 1937: Ted Haines and Harold Niedorp attended a meeting at Joplin, Missouri. This meeting was called to formulate the plans for redistricting. St. Joseph Club entered the new District, April 10, 1937. Ted Tedlock was elected District Governor of 14-B District.
July 11, 1936: Rotary International Convention was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Ted Haines, President, attended.
June 9, 1936: $4,100 was sent as a gift to the Boy Scouts of America.
1936: Permanent registration of St. Joseph voters began this year.
1936: Captain James E. Kelly was named Chief of Police.
C.L. Rutt, Editor of News-Press and author of “St. Joseph History” died in September 1936.
1937 – 1938
William Guenther President 1937-1938
June 5, 1937: William Guenther and Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Tedlock attended the International Convention in Nice, France. Eight thousand Rotarians from every corner of the world met for the convention. A Rotary “Flotilla” of 14 ships brought visitors into the harbor. These delegates represented a world-wide club with 200,000 members in 4,200 clubs of 65 nations. Largest contingent was from North America with 3,500 members. Britain and Ireland combined had 1,000, Italy 500 and Germany 300.
April 26-27, 1937: District Convention was held in St. Joseph. The principal speaker was Major General Smedley Butler. One thousand guests were entertained. There were 34 clubs in this District at this time – doubled in one year’s time. According to work received from W.E. Tedlock from International Headquarters, in Chicago, this was the most rapid growth in any district in the History of Rotary.
October 23, 1937: The Rotary Club financed a banquet for Student Council convention at Central High School. A letter from Miss Calla Varner, Principal of Central High School, to William Guenther, assured him that it heightened the morale of the students an appreciable degree to have the leading civic club of St. Joseph show them such courtesy.
August 23, 1937: From Munich, Germany came the announcement that all Nazi party members who are Rotarians must terminate their Rotary membership by December 31, or become liable to penalties. The official explanation was that many Jews and Free Masons had joined Rotary Clubs where they could propagate ideas which Naziism refused to tolerate.
During this Rotary year, the South Side Rotary Club was organized. There were 25 charter members and G.E. Brumbaugh was the first President. Their charter was officially presented November 27, 1937, at the King Hill Masonic Temple, by E.W. Tedlock, District Governor. Delegations from several clubs in the District attended.
December 19, 1937: Custodians of all public schools in St. Joseph were honored guests at the Rotary Club “Christmas Luncheon” today.
May 17 1938: Dr. C.M. Chilton completed his 40th year as Minister of the First Christian Church.
March 29, 1938: W. E. Spratt, Past President of the Rotary Club died.
April 19, 1938: Orestes Mitchell, Jr., Past President of the Rotary Club died. Club membership this year was 112 members.
At the annual convention in San Francisco, in June 1938, a proposal was made by one of the Georgia clubs that Rotarians be retired at the age of 70 to make way for younger men. The proposal was withdrawn.
Mr. Guenther reports that since the year 1930, the St. Joseph Rotary Club has become very much interested in rehabilitation work for crippled children. During his term as president, a fund of $500.00 was put in the budget for this work and various types of work were done for fourteen different children. Several orthopedic operations were performed by St. Joseph physicians. An artificial leg was purchased for one boy, several braces were purchased and shoe corrections made. Some astounding results were accomplished in this project.
The old Post Office was being torn down and the Post Office was temporarily moved into the old Tootle Theatre Building.
1938 – 1939
Edward Michel President 1938-1939
Our club financed a series of lectures by Roy E. Dickerson, of Kansas City. His subjects were on “Mental Hygiene”. Dr. Dickerson made thirty appearances before high schools and religious organizations within five days. Complimentary letters were received from school authorities and church organizations, thanking us for making this possible. At our regular weekday luncheon meeting in June 1938, Father Flanagan of Boys’ Town in Omaha, Nebraska was our speaker. At this meeting, we had as invited guests, outstanding civic leaders, priests and clergy of the city.
This year our club engaged in formation of “Fireside Groups” which have held regular meetings. These meetings have proved to be very popular with our club members.
H. Roe Bartle was elected Governor of the 134th District of Rotary International. Mr. Bartle was a member of the St. Joseph Rotary Club 1927 – 1929.
August 15, 1938: St. Joseph held a celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Platte Purchase. An historical pageant was held in Krug Bowl Park. Thirty thousand persons attended. Fred Karr received a letter from Franklin D. Roosevelt in reference to the “Platte Purchase Celebration”.
Copy of the Letter
August 15, 1938
“Felicitations from the President”
Dear Mr. Karr:
Please accept and extend to the people of Missouri, my sincere congratulations upon the hundredth anniversary of the Platte Purchase, a significant even in the history of the State.
Adding six counties to the Northwestern boundary of Missouri in 1837, by amicable treaty and negotiations with the Sac and Fox Indians, the Platte Purchase brought to its final consummation under proclamation issued by President Van Buren, and played an important part in the development of the State.
Very sincerely yours,
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mr. Fred Karr
Platte Purchase Centennial Celebration
St. Joseph, Missouri
October 3, 1938: A delegation representing the 6th Annual Good Will Tour from St. Petersburg, Florida, were present at our Rotary Luncheon today. William A. Kenmuia, who is chairman of the tour, is a former St. Joseph resident.
October 16, 1938: Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt unveiled “The Pony Express Map”, a mural painted by George Gray for Hotel Robidoux.
September 7, 1938: A recommendation that the Government dissolve Italian Rotary Clubs was made today by the Italian newspaper “Piccalo of Trieste”. They stated that “Incompatibility between Rotary and Fascism was clear and concrete.”
September 20, 1938: Many persons journeyed to Atchison, Kansas, today to attend the dedication of the new Free Bridge over the Missouri River there.
October 22, 1939: The St. Joseph Rotary Club was host to 125 guests from clubs outside the city. At a stag dinner at 6:30 p.m. at Hotel Robidoux, Walter W. Head of St. Louis was the speaker. His subject was “What Next?”.
Club membership this year was 111.
1939: Jesse James’ home was moved from 13th and Lafayette Streets to the Belt Highway as a tourist attraction.
March 31, 1939: Byrd Sanitarium burned. Two died. Loss estimated at $50,000.
A great feeling of world unrest in 1939. Germany declared war on Poland, September 1. Great Britain declared war on Germany September 3. France declared war on Germany, December 3.
1939 – 1940
Harry Conrad President 1939-1940
March 7, 1939: Robert Wadlow and his parents of Alton, Illinois, were guests of the Rotary Club at their weekday luncheon today. Young Wadlow was eight feet, nine and one-half inches tall. Because of his gigantic size, he created much attention.
April 11, 1939: Representatives of all St. Joseph Civic Clubs and the alumni of Missouri University held an Alumni Luncheon at Hotel Robidoux commemorating the 100th anniversary of the founding of Missouri University. Rotary Club representatives were E.A. Michel and Harold Niedorp.
May 1, 1939: An
“International Theme” was carried throughout our Rotary Luncheon
today. Menu was made up of
International dishes. One table was designated as “International Table”.
Members of our club who were born in different countries were
seated at this special table. The
following members made up our International Table:
May 14, 1939: Rotarians were addressed at the noon luncheon by J.C. Penney. His topic was “Opportunity of Today”.
Dr. H.S. Conrad presented a bronze and wood plaque to the club. The plaque to be placed in the hotel lobby to announce the Tuesday luncheon. Some 2,000 clubs were now using this type of plaque.
In 1939, the St. Joseph club led the district in subscriptions to The Rotarian.
May 16, 1939: W.A. Bodenhausen, first president of the St. Joseph Rotary Club, spoke before members of the South Side Rotary Club. His topic was “Rotary, Yesterday and Today”.
Swift & Company celebrated their 41st year in operation on May 7, 1939.
In 1940, Cuba issued two and one-half million “Two-Centavo Carmine” postage stamps to honor Rotary International. This was the first time a foreign government issued definite postage to honor Rotary International. It had as its design our symbol of the Rotary Wheel with “Convention 1940” above it.
The Rotary Club made a donation to Lafayette and Central High Schools to help purchase band uniforms.
Clem White attended the Rotary International Convention in Cuba in June 1940.
Club membership in 1940 was 106.
April 7, 1940: W.S. Belden received a copy of the weather report from the meteorological results of the Byrd Expeditions of 1928, 1930, 1933 and 1935. This report was compiled by George Grimminger, a former St. Joseph man. The lowest temperature recorded on the two expeditions was 78º below zero on July 22, 1928.
April 3, 1940: Train-Auto Service was introduced in St. Joseph today. Grant Motor Company received franchise from Railroad Extension Service, Inc., for furnishing cars here. Under the plan, a rail traveler who needs a car while in the city will have one waiting for him at the Union Station when he arrives. This schedule is now in effect in 30 western and southwestern states. All cars furnished must be 1940 models, five-passenger sedans. Service available through Burlington, Rock Island, Union Pacific and Santa Fe Lines.
Clem White President 1940-1941
“Rural Acquaintance” received particular attention this year. Several meetings were devoted exclusively to agriculture and the entertainment of rural visitors. “Youth Service” was particularly stressed this year and the club sent 75 worthy boys to summer camp.
In the April issue of The Rotarian, the St. Joseph club was given
a nice write-up under the caption “Youth Guidance – a New Facet”.
1940: Woolworth Ten Cent Store was entirely destroyed by fire which started in the Pennant Cafeteria.